3 Easy Ways to Report Cybercrime in India; Everything you need to know
हिंदी में पढ़ें
Want to know how to file cybercrime complaint in India? Well, you can easily do that by dialing a helpline number or through online methods. In order to help citizens in these areas, the Indian government has launched a National Cybercrime Reporting Portal where you can report cybercrime online. So today I am going to tell you about ways to report cybercrime in India and all you need to know.
Also, read | 5 quick and easy tips to identify scam emails in your inbox
Ways to Report Cybercrime in India
You can report any type of cybercrime through two methods, either by phone or online through the National Cybercrime Reporting Portal. Here we elaborate on both methods and also indicate some alternative methods. Read on!
1. Report cybercrime by phone call
First of all, you must report any type of cyber fraud by dialing assistance number the National Cybercrime Reporting Portal which is 155260. You can call this number from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. alone.
In addition, you can contact the police in your area in an emergency and also to report crimes other than cybercrime. The national police helpline number is 100 and the national women’s helpline number is 181.
2. Report cybercrime through the online portal
You can use the National Cyber Crime Reporting portal to report cybercrime related to women and children and other online crimes such as financial fraud, ransomware, etc.
Here’s how to file a complaint on the portal:
1. Go to the home page of the National Cybercrime Reporting Portal and click on “File a complaint”.
2. On the next page, click I accept.
3. Then select the crime category. There are two options: Report a crime related to women / children and Report other cybercrimes. If you want to report crimes other than women and children, click “Report other cybercrimes”.
4. On the login page, click “Click here for a new user”If you do not have an account on the portal. Otherwise, log in with your username.
5. To register, select your state, any login ID, cell phone number and click Get OTP. Once you have received the OTP, enter it in the corresponding box, solve the sum, and click on TP submit.
6. On the next page, update your personal information, including your name, email ID, and address. Once you have entered all the details, click Next.
7. Then you can select the complaint category, subcategory, date and time of the incident, the location where the incident occurred, upload supporting evidence and provide information. additional information on the incident in the given box. Click on Save as draft and next.
8. After that, enter the suspicious details, if any. This includes their ID, email, address, photo if you have any. Click on Save as draft and next.
9. On the complaint details page, provide your ID or the victim’s ID and also choose the relationship with the victim. Click on Save and review.
10. Finally, preview your complaint, click on “I am okay” then click on “Confirm and Submit”.
You can also download your complaint as a PDF file by clicking on the corresponding button.
Types of evidence
You will need to submit any type of evidence related to your complaint. Evidence may include any of the following:
- “Credit card receipt
- bank statement
- Envelope (if received a letter or item by mail or courier)
- Brochure / Leaflet
- Online money transfer receipt
- Copy of e-mail
- Web page url
- Chat transcripts
- Screenshot of suspicious mobile number
- Videos & meMagi
- Any other document ”.
3. Other ways to report cybercrime in India
You can also report cybercrime on the respective website on which the incident occurred. Most social media websites, including Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, and Instagram, have the ability to report offensive content.
These social media platforms also take appropriate action based on the report in accordance with their content policy.
India Cybercrime Reporting FAQs
Q. What types of cybercrime can you report on the online portal?
A. You can report “Child pornography, child sexual abuse material, or sexually explicit content such as rape / group rape contentYou can also report other cybercrimes such as ssocial media crimes, financial fraud, ransomware, hacking, cryptocurrency crimes and cyber trafficking“.
Q. What happens after someone files a cybercrime complaint?
A. Complaints reported on the portal are handled by the relevant law enforcement authorities based on your selected state / UT.
Q. Can I check the status of my cybercrime complaint?
A. You will receive an acknowledgment number which can be used to track the status of the complaint and you can do so by logging into the portal and clicking on ‘check status’.
Q. What will happen if someone reports a false complaint?
A. If anyone reports a false complaint, he / she will be subject to criminal prosecution according to the Indian Penal Code.
Q. Can I withdraw my complaint from the Cybercrime Portal?
A. If you made a complaint in the “Report a crime related to women / children” section, it CANNOT be withdrawn. Other complaints may be withdrawn before they are converted to FIR.
Q. Can I report a complaint without uploading any information?
A. You will need to provide evidence of the crime in order to file a complaint. The portal also recommends providing as much information as possible so that the authorities can take appropriate measures.
Q. Can I report a cybercrime anonymously?
A. Yes, you can report crimes related to women and children anonymously. You will not be asked for personal data, but will provide specific information about the complaint so that the police can take the necessary action.
Q. Can I file a complaint if I am not a citizen of India but have been an online victim of an individual or business in India?
A. Yes, you can still file a complaint against that person or company on the portal by selecting the appropriate options.
Q. Can I file a complaint if I am an Indian citizen but have been the online victim of a foreign national or business?
A. Yes, you can file a complaint against this cybercrime, regardless of where the crime was committed.
So it was about reporting cybercrime in India and if you still have any questions please contact us in the comments. For more articles like this, stay tuned!
You can also follow us for instant tech news at Google News or for tips and tricks, smartphone and gadget reviews, join GadgetsToUse telegram group or for the latest review videos subscribe GadgetsToUse Youtube channel.